The previous warm before carrying out any physical activity is essential, in fact it should always be carried out before each exercise session. Yoga is not the exception to this, therefore it is suggested that before the practice of Yoga a warm-up be carried out, although in general its practitioners do not.
It is known that many of the asanas of Yoga are performed without the need for many movements, however it is advisable to warm up at the beginning, since this way you can have a better capacity of movement of the joints. In addition to contributing to the heating of joints and muscles, it is ideal to avoid injuries.
Even warming may come to be considered as a type of exercise because it exercises the joints.
The level of difficulty of Yoga can be adapted and refined according to the abilities of each person, so there will be positions for those who are just beginning in this world and there will be positions for those who already have extensive experience, so the requirements physicists will be different.
However, like any discipline that requires physical effort, it is necessary to warm up beforehand so that the body can be exercised without damaging it while the practice of Yoga is being carried out.
In Yoga various postures are made where a physical effort is needed to stretch certain parts of the body. Just as there are physical activities that exercise the muscles, Yoga focuses on working the joints and tendons, which makes it so important to warm the body before.
It is normal for people to consider that Yoga being a low intensity physical activity does not require the performance of any previous warm-up and therefore they ignore this procedure.
However, this is something that should not be done because it can be harmful. Not only is it warming up to prevent injuries, but it also stimulates the motor capacity of the joints and relaxation of the muscles.
How is the previous warm up
The realization of certain exercises and movement in a smooth way and prior to the realization of any physical activity so that the body is conditioned and adapted for the physical effort that requires such activity, is considered a warm-up. Therefore, when warming up the body before exercising it, the following activities should be carried out:
- Exercise the movement of the joints so that they are acclimated for the main exercise session.
- Perform movements that raise the pulse of the heart so that the cardiovascular system is prepared.
- Stretching with little effort but for long periods so that the muscles, ligaments and tissues adapt.
- Movements related to the activity to be performed so that both the neurological part and the muscles work together effectively.
Benefits of previous warm
The previous warm-up is not only done to avoid the suffering of injuries during training or physical activity, since there are several benefits that can be obtained through it, which will be very useful when exercising :
- Progressively increases body temperature.
- Increase the heart rate gradually.
- Muscles are oxygenated prior to physical activity. Oxygen is transcendental when it comes to making some physical effort since it is like the fuel of the muscles. If the muscles are not properly oxygenated, they can not perform properly and it is very likely that the person will tire more quickly.
- The muscles and joints are lubricated, in a way that simplifies the performance of the movements, making it less effortless to make any movement and at the same time prevent any deterioration of the joints.
Advice for the previous moment of the Yoga session
- The main thing is to have control over breathing and that it be done smoothly and in a balanced way.
- Neither should you stay longer than your body tolerates in a single posture.
- Make sure that the place where you are going to practice is a quiet environment where there will be no interruptions.
- Do it in a spacious place where you can move without problems.
- Do not use telephones, TV or any electronic device that may distract you.
- You can adapt the environment more using essences or fragrances with a soft odor.
- Wear comfortable clothes that do not fit you.
- Do not consume heavy foods before practicing Yoga.
Preheating exercises for Yoga
It is crucial to warm up before the Yoga session so that the different positions can not be carried out without any type of problem. For this there are different types of pre-heating postures to adapt to the muscles:
- Warm feet and ankles: Make a kind of circles with each foot. Then extend the toe and heel alternately. To finish move each foot from right to left and vice versa.
- Warm the legs: Stand by leaning on one foot, then with the other. Bend down slightly bending your knees and stand slowly (do several repetitions).
- Warm the back and arms: Perform circular movements with the arms. Raise and lower the shoulders.
Make forward and backward movements with the neck and also towards the sides. Make circular movements with your head.
- The bicycle: Lie down on your back and bend your knees to your chest.
Then press with your back down and start pedaling with your legs slowly, as if you were riding a bicycle. Do this by alternating the sense of movement.
- The tree: Stand up with your legs slightly apart. Then you should inhale and raise your right arm leading to your ear and the palm of your hand should point to the left side.
Then exhale the air and turn a little to the left making use of your waist. For the stretch to be more optimal, rotate the left knee equally.
Then repeat the procedure on the opposite side.
- Surrounding turn: Stand up so that the feet are separated beyond the width of the shoulders and both are pointing forward.
Then you should inhale and raise your arms to the level of your shoulders. Then exhale and turn to the right gently.
Place your left hand on your right shoulder, and your right arm place it behind your back making the hand of such an arm close to the left side of the hip.
Finally inhale by turning your body back to the starting position. Repeat the procedure to the opposite side.
This Other Extraordinary Publication » 3 Excellent Yoga Postures to Avoid the Hump» Can interest you Enter and check it!
I wish you liked the publication of this article emphasizing «6 Previous Warm Up Exercises for Yoga». You can share your opinions and experiences with me in the comments section.